I’m almost finished with a banner inspired by the teals, oranges, and sage greens of the Huntington Library cactus garden. The warp (10/2) and weft (20/2) are hand dyed cotton and the inlay is 8/2 tencel. This creates some funky selvedges, but I’m very pleased with the look of the tencel inlay against the cotton. There are clearly some issues with the set since the warp has self-divided into groups of two according to how it was dented. Probably should have set it closer to overcome that.
I also recently finished a huck lace wall hanging inspired by Taliesin West. The yarns are Berroco Modern Cotton that was ice dyed and some wool that I spun myself. As a very novice spinner, I thought the irregularities in the spun yarn worked well with the commercial yarn to mimic the chaotic rock shapes of the walls at Taliesin.
On Monday, I finished a scarf (8″ x approx 90″) in deflected double weave. I haven’t washed it yet, but, since it’s 8/2 tencel, I’m not expecting a lot of deflecting to go on.
Both images are while it’s still on the loom. On the right side, you can see that I’m working with a double selvedge–there was one selvedge for the shale and another, separate selvedge for the silver. The second selvedge slowed me down a lot, but it was very satisfying to work on.
I’ve been studying weaving since 2005. I often think that I spend more time talking about weaving, collecting yarn, and buying weaving tools than weaving. (Just love all that beautiful wooden esoteric stuff that goes with weaving!)
For the last 3-4 months, I’ve actually been weaving! It’s a miracle. I have a full-time job so weaving time is limited, but I’ve still managed to get some things off the loom.
Some images from a course I took on doing deflected double weave. Mouse over each image for a caption. Notice that the pre-washing image has much more rigid lines and that the other 3 post-washing images have softer and more rounded lines.
Deflected double weave towel.
Close up of towel pattern.
Same pattern before washing.
Reverse of deflected double weave towel.
Also, recently completed a shawl using some tencel I dyed last year. Someone said the browns and greens look like a forest floor so I’ve title this piece “Forest Floor”. I wanted the leaf-shaped twill to evoke that idea. Unfortunately, I chose “taupe” for the weft– washing out the greens and browns of the dyed tencel. My original choice had been “avocado”, but when I put that next to the dyed warp, it seemed way too green.
So, yeah, me! Finally weaving more than talking about weaving. A very exciting way to start 2017.
Saturday morning I went into the weaving studio at Southwest School of Art and got 5-6″ done on my new project, a ruana in hand-dyed and shale 8/2 tercel. I’m doing this in double weave so it will open out the the full width. All going as planned. Hopefully.
And I learned a new trick–rather than tying on to the front beam, I used lashings. Much easier to tension!
I was originally concerned that using shale as the weft would obscure the beauty of the hand-dyed yarn. I planned to audition lemon grass, gold, and silver grey as possible wefts, but started with the shale. Wow! It pops out the color on the hand-dyed yarn. Didn’t need to try anything else, because shale works so well for this. I love these little victories.